Sweet Talk


"Before you my life was like a moonless night. Very dark, but there were stars—points of light and reason… And then you shot across my sky like a meteor. Suddenly everything was on fire; there was brilliancy, there was beauty. When you were gone, when the meteor had fallen over the horizon, everything went black. Nothing had changed, but my eyes were blinded by the light. I couldn’t see the stars anymore. And there was no more reason for anything."

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Losing Touch

    “Maybe if I set you out in the sun for a few days you can thaw out a bit.” he suggested as I lay there hoping he would just leave. He doesn’t understand that when you left, the winter came and forever froze my skin. Not even the sun could do anything to change it. 
    “What a stupid suggestion. I stated as I turned away from the pale yellow wall.
    My long hair  that grew pass my sheer shirt fell into the eyes he shifted around in order to place his voice in front of. 
    Apparently I never listen. The melody of his voice helped me sleep at night as he wrapped his arms around my icy core.
    “What did I just say?”
    I ran my hand through my hair and knew the music wouldn’t continue until I spoke.
    “How the hell should I know.” I couldn’t feel his warmth, even as sweat fell from his heated face.
    “Fuck this. Go and buy yourself an extra blanket ‘cause I’m not staying her another night.”
    “That Blanket suggestion is almost as good as your defrosting one.”
    I stared at the light of the moon that poured through my window and could almost taste it. Taste it like the way you can taste the rain before it hits your head and the way your eyes drink in the sunlight even though it hurts. It’s white surface reminded me of winters pale lips and cheeks. All I wanted was the moon forever shining through my window from night to night.
    With one hand on the door knob and one holding his shoes, I watched him sigh and heard his song one last time.
    “People are who they want to be. You want to stay frozen. You want to be so cold that you can lose track of the time that’s passed and forget how empty you’ve allowed yourself to become.” 
    The music was over and all attempts to bring me back to the right temperature have ceased. But the moon, it stayed and kept me company
.

No comments:

Post a Comment